The Department of Anatomy of Masaryk University in Brno was founded in 1919. The first head of the department was prof. Otomar Völker. Throughout its existence, the institute's premises were not entirely fit for purpose. In September 2001, a new, modern institute was opened, which, with its concept and equipment, fully meets the requirements of the third millennium. The new Institute of Anatomy was the first building of the newly built campus of Masaryk University in the Bohunice city district.
At present, the Department of Anatomy has three fully equipped dissection rooms with state-of-the-art audiovisual technology and five seminar rooms. The Anatomical Museum of prof. Karel Žlábek is an integral part of the institute.
The Department of Anatomy currently provides theoretical and practical teaching of anatomy for Czech and foreign students of the General Medicine, Dentistry and Physiotherapy programs and theoretical teaching for bachelor's programs.
The head of the department since 2019 is doc. MUDr. Marek Joukal, Ph.D.